Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Luck of the Irish

As St. Patrick's Day draws near I can't help but think of the day that I found a four leaf clover. Every March 17th I think of this most lucky day. I thought I might share this story with you. I was in the 5th grade. School was coming to an end for the year and I was over the idea of playing four square or swinging on the swings during recess. Our playgound had massive clover patches, so a few of the girls in class would sit and try to find a four leaf clover. Christina was successful. I will never forget the scream of joy when her hard work paid off. She took the clover home and pressed it between some wax paper. The next day at school she taped the clover to her desk and everyone was envious. I decided to try my hand at the clover hunt. For weeks I spent my recess careful examining every clover hoping to find one with four leaves. Finally I found one!!! I am sure that I looked like one of those crazy women that finally gets picked for the Price is Right. I screamed, jumped up and down, and then fainted. Ok, maybe not fainted.... but the other part is true. I kept my clover safe all day and once I got home I called my mother and asked her to pick up some wax paper. I HAD to have my clover on my desk! When my mother came home she did her best to preserve my precious clover but to my dismay a leaf became separated in the process. My four leaf clover was now a plain old three leaf clover and I quickly made more of a hissy fit then when I found the thing in the first place. I cried, stamped my feet, and pouted for the whole night. I have never again found a four leaf clover. Of course I don't usually find the time to pour over a clover field in order to find one but I can't help but hope that maybe I will once again find the luck of the Irish!

No comments:

Post a Comment